We achieved our successes in domestic and foreign markets by constantly focusing on research and development topics related to new industry and professional trends in the world. We have implemented our solutions at our customers, so the theory and practice are closely intertwined.
Innovation projects in large international consortia
NAPA-WINE: Network-Aware P2P-TV Application over Wise Networks
NETvisor played important role in the closed NAPA-WINE project analyzing P2P-TV systems performance. The project was part of the European Union FP7-ICT-2007 program, and we worked together with several European universities and companies.
ECONET: European low Energy Consumption NETworks
NETvisor as one of the founding partners participates in the development work of the ECONET (low Energy COnsumption NETworks) project. The ECOnet project aimed at studying and exploiting dynamic adaptive technologies (based on standby and performance scaling capabilities) for wired network devices that allow saving energy when a device (or part of it) is not used. The main challenge was to design, develop and test novel technologies, integrated control criteria and mechanisms for network equipment enabling energy saving by dynamically adapting network capacities and resources to current traffic loads and user requirements, while ensuring end-to-end Quality of Service.
mPlane: mPlane: A distributed, intelligent monitoring plane for the Internet
mPlane research project was launched in November 2012 and will be realized in 36 months in cooperation with 15 consortium members – telecom service providers, universities, large and small-medium enterprises and aims to develop intelligent measurement method for the future network and application management and to research for identifying and tracking the root causes of performance and availability issues in Internet.
By enabling pervasive measurement throughout the Internet, mPlane benefits everyone:
- Internet Service Providers get a fine-grained picture of the network status, empowering effective management and operation
- Application providers gain powerful tools for handling performance issues of their application
- Regulators and end-users can verify adherence to SLAs, even when these involve many parties
- Customers of all kinds can objectively compare network performance, improving competition in the market.
mPlane will significantly advance the state of the art in Internet measurement, from innovative probe technology to intelligent algorithms for distributed data analysis. An emphasis on open, standard interfaces will speed adoption and increase the impact of the project.
Innovation projects carried out in our own efforts and domestic cooperation
IDKER: Integrated Digital Utility Registry Framework
Similarly to other developed countries, Hungary’s governmental directives include the development of a countrywide registry for the public utilities that is credible, unified and accessible to all relevant parties.
IDKER innovation project aimed to develop and pilot / prototype test of a geospatial utility registry and coordination support application service provider (ASP) system.
Advantages of IDKER solution:
- By using the IDKER system the time and effort devoted to the utility coordination will significantly decrease for both the data providers (utility companies, building contractors, local governments) and the users (professional authorities, builders, local governments) .
- The ASP system simplifies the tasks of utility owners, thanks to the provided unified electronic interface for meeting the consultation, inquiry and registration requirements. The ASP system was designed to provide access to the authentic base maps crucial in both the geospatial registration and the utility coordination processes.
- Furthermore, the IDKER system supports search operations conducted on less well-defined areas. This can be of great importance in the municipal works (such as settlement, planning, design and operational tasks), in large-scale planning tasks.
- The IDKER system was planned to contribute to social interests in connection with damage prevention and averting: when a disaster or emergency occurs, the prerequisite of effective mitigation, prevention interventions is immediate access to the up-to-date information about the utilities. With the help of the IDKER system both direct and indirect damages harming the utilities during construction activities due to inadequate utility records can be prevented.
Smart Strategic Planner: Strategic FTTx Network Planning and Cost Evaluation Tool
We have developed a GIS-based FTTx strategic network planning and cost evaluation tool, Smart Strategic Planner that supports Business Case Analysis & Techno-economic Decisions. Smart Strategic Planner is suitable for automatically developing FTTx network design variants capable providing state of the art broadband services optimized according to different aspects. It supports the experts participating in the project preparation of an FTTx network development. Smart Strategic Planner allows them to develop optimal FTTx topology and architecture plans, plan variants, and analyze plan variants of a project site (settlement, part of a settlement or groups of settlements) based on local map, available infrastructure and population data. Smart Strategic Planner helps engineers in finding the optimal FTTx network design strategy. Detailed GIS based plans and cost calculations are ready to use for equipment and construction procurements and for the overall management of the deployment project.
Industrial Internet, IoT, Industry 4.0
Most recently, we started dealing with the topics of the Industrial Internet, IoT and Industry 4.0.
The main idea of Industrial Internet that the solutions of information technology and telecommunications developed in the recent decades (miniature and high-performance computers, networking and mobile communications, cloud services, sensor technologies, etc.) should return in mass and trend-like to the production industry and other systems using technical physical equipment and processes, such as transport, energy, utilities, infrastructure, health and agriculture. The goal is to build far better design, operation, optimization and maintenance solutions than before based on long-term and real-time observation by using complex analytical procedures.
As a result of this trend is new, so-called. “cyber-physical” systems would be created, ensuring much more detailed and accurate intelligence, remote management, fault tolerance and optimization comparing to the nowadays typical level and as a result the following major societal benefits may occur:
- Improvement in the quality of products and services
- Increase in energy efficiency, productivity, organization and utilization
- Protection against failures and high level of tolerance (e.g., in patient care, transport and energy systems)
- Reducing the environmental load.
With our partners, we are working on the development of a managed IoT framework that enables production companies to quickly and cost-effectively transform or expand their operations in accordance with the fourth-generation digital principles. The framework allows the deployment of distributed network of sensors and controllers on an industrial scale by providing uniform and closely integrated software components for long-term operation and efficient use of the networks. Our main goal is to support the diversity of sensor and control communication techniques, which is suitable for implementing public and private, fixed and wireless, large and small data traffic networks, as well as those who use them mixed. A distinctive feature of the system is to guarantee increased operational and data security at all levels of the system hierarchy, and its novelty is the ability to operate efficiently, in a private and service provider environment, covering multiple fields of application.
Our research & development cooperations
We cooperate with the prominent players of the worldwide ICT market both in system integration and research & development.
Universities and professional organizations
We have research cooperation with Hungarian universities. Our colleagues with academic degree also undertake educational tasks on these universities.
Since its foundation we have been participating in the work of EIT ICT Labs playing a supporting role among the ICT industry players and provide opportunity for knowledge transfer, collaboration and joint projects. NETvisor cooperates with the members of EIT ICT Labs in R&D and implementation projects related to the core knowledge of NETvisor such as operation support, management and optimization of ICT infrastructures and services. Within this topic in our R&D activities we focus on creating management and monitoring systems of high performance and increased realibility fitting to the Industrial Internet requirements.